LCR Meters 2020 Detailed Review & How to Harness its Benefits.
LCR Meters: You can’t find a good substitute for a solid LCR meter. With the most basic unit, an LCR meter will measure inductance, capacitance, and resistance.
But depending on your selection, LCR meters can provide detailed information about impedance, dissipation factor, quality factor, phase angle, or even equivalent series resistance. It all depends on what you need to know.
Choosing the Best LCR Meter
It would be easy if every electronic device was made exactly the same way. But since that’s not the case, and different electrical components use a huge variety of different form factors, you’ll inevitably need different types of leads or fixtures to help connect with an LCR meter. Some meters will provide more options than others.
Accuracy for LCR meters is mostly about choosing between analog and digital. Analog components tend to be much cheaper, but digital components tend to provide much better accuracy.
Electricians might use an LCR meter to test frequencies between 100 to 10,000 Hz. For other types of applications, you can find instruments that perform within accuracy within less than 1% variance. But if you don’t need precision accuracy, you can save a few bucks by going with an instrument that is accurate within a few percent.
How often are you using the instrument? When you’re only taking the occasional measurement, some details become less important. For instance, digging through menus to find a function you use on a regular basis? That’s not so bad if you’re only using the meter from time to time.
But when you’re using the LCR meter on a regular basis, having to dig through menus can be tedious and inefficient. Seemingly small details like that can become a huge issue for people who expect to have regular contact with their meter.
Most of the best LCR meters will have some kind of onboard data storage. But how many data-points can be stored? Do you only keep basic readings, or can you keep the analysis you’ve done with the data?
How about moving the data off the instrument and into a PC? Many instruments come with included PC software, but it’s not always easy to use, and it’s not always compatible with every type of operating system.
Anytime you’re working with a handheld instrument, and especially if there are batteries involved, it’s worth taking a moment to think about longevity. Because people tend to drop things. What happens when your LCR meter takes a fall onto solid concrete? Are there any grips on the device to help reduce the chances of that happening?
Proster LCR Meter LCR Multimeter Tester
Are you looking to buy a simple, budget-friendly LCR meter for measuring capacitance inductance? Then you should try Proster LCR Meter. It boasts of liquid crystal display for better reading and enjoys a high degree of accuracy. The meter is also user-friendly and can test small capacitors and inductors. Proster LCR Meter comes with a test probe, a 1.9V battery, a crocodile clip, a portable bag, a screwdriver, and a user manual.
- Rotatable LCD | The screen tilts at different angles for flexible reading.
- Auto power off | The device goes off by design after 30 minutes of inactivity.
- Data hold | Gives you the freedom to record specific measurements slowly and accurately.
- A/D conversion | Encourages better and reliable testing
- Small screwdriver | Helps to remove the battery cover.
- Low power indicator | Shows when the battery runs out of charge.
- Adjustable display
- Portable bag
- Lacks voltage overload protection
AideTek DM4070 LCR Meter
AideTek DM4070 may be a budget LCR meter, but it measures capacitance, resistance, and inductance as effectively as any other expensive option. The LCR meter is suitable for both parallel and series measurements and can test higher frequencies.
So, you don’t have to be an expert technician to use it. AideTek DM4070 allows self-discharge and enjoys a sampling rate of three times per second. It comes with a protective holster and test leads.
- Anti-shock protection | The meter is protected from electric-induced shock to guarantee user safety.
- Auto power off | The device automatically turns off when not in operation for 30 minutes.
- Low battery indicator | Gives you the signal when the battery power drops.
- Backlit LCD | Allows you to obtain clear and precise values.
- Battery saving
- Excellent display
- Easy to use
- Weak plastic casing
- Unstable DC readings
Signstek MESR-100V2 Auto-Ranging In-Circuit ESR LCR Meter
Signstek MESR-100V2 is a practical budget LCR meter with amazing functions. It supports in-circuit testing and comes in a curve design that encourages secure handling. It is generally a convenient choice for mobile technicians.
Signstek MESR-100V2 features a smart, supportive ESR (equivalent series resistance) table that makes ESR calculations effortless and an auto-range capacitor for broad measurement range. The device uses up to 100 kHz power, which translates to reduced impedance, and this allows you to measure resistance smoothly.
- Clear button | Manually removes errors for accurate testing.
- Expansive display | Makes it easy to read the test values.
- Higher-resolution | Enjoys up to 0.001ohm.
- Dual terminal | Allows you to test values fast and easily.
- Wide range | Comes with a 0.001-1000R measuring range
- Higher resolution
- Amazing display
- Accurate testing
DE-5000 Handheld LCR Meter
For users who are concerned about AC impedance or DC resistance accuracies, the DE-5000 LCR Meter is a considerable choice. It allows you to measure the parameters accurately with just the automatic mode.
DE-5000 not only measures the primary values (resistance, capacitance, and inductance) but also quality factors, equivalent series, face angle, among others. The device is lightweight, hence portable and comes with a 9V battery, a PDF manual, a tweezers case, and an alligator case.
- Two-tier display | There is a top display for input settings and a lower display for parameter readings.
- Two-mode operation | Allows you to measure both parallel and series values.
- Sorting function | Enables you to obtain quick measurements.
- Auto-range | Naturally locates specific measuring ranges. Works within 1Hz and 100KHz ranges.
- Battery indicator | Shows the status of your battery
- Wide frequency range
- Wide application
- Great screen display
- Lacks digital buttons
- Power adapter not included
Extech 380193 Passive Component LCR Meter
The Extech 380193 Meter LCR Meter is a popular choice for quality control technicians. It comes with a 9V battery, test leads, software, and a protective case. The LCR meter enjoys amazing functions and capabilities, which makes it an irresistible purchase for all kinds of technicians.
Unlike the standard multimeter, Extech 380193 relishes a high accuracy level and unmatched inductance. It allows you to test different parameters and quality factors fast and precisely. The device weighs less than one pound, thus highly portable, and is compact in design.
- Two-mode operation | There are series and a parallel mode of operations, and they all perform differently.
- 4-inch backlit display | The screen is divided into two tiers; the upper for the quality factor, dissipater, and resistance and the lower for primary measurements.
- Average functionality | Labeled as MIN MAX that gives you average readings.
- Open and short calibration | Removes stray series and parallel impedance.
- Comprehensive display
- Diverse applications
- Accurate testing
Smart Tweezers ST5 Professional LCR/ESR Meter
From the name, ST5 Professional LCR Meter looks like a pair of small tweezers. You can hold it comfortably between your thumb and forefinger. Though it is small in size, the smart tweezers perform high-speed testing and enjoy incredible precision.
Its design allows you to pick and measure tiny components that you would typically struggle to work with when using other LCR meters. What’s more, it also doubles up as an ESR (equivalent series resistance) meter.
- Auto-recognition | Automatically measures capacitance, resistance, and inductance of components by selecting frequency and range.
- OLED display | Shows the component type, test status, and testing values clearly.
- Beep sound | Indicates resistance reading and locates shortened conductors.
- Micro USB cable | Allows you to charge it from a USB port.
- Manual mode | Lets you measure specific circuit parameters and improves component identification.
- Ergonomic design
- Superior testing capabilities
- Only suit small objects
- Not budget-friendly
LCR Research Pro 1 Plus
The Pro 1 Plus is the latest LCR meter from the reputable LCR Research Company. As expected, this new design comes feature-packed and is an improvement of the preceding models. It comes in a pen-size tweezers-like design that is distinctively cute.
Performance-wise, Pro 1 Plus measures higher frequencies than any other item on our list and this partly explains its high price tag. It also promises credible readouts upon testing and enjoys impressive display, auto mode, among other remarkable functions.
- Ultra-precise tips | Allows you to pick up and measure small components fast and reliably. You can collect and test objects that are as little as 0.4 by 0.2mm. The shape allows you to pick specific electric elements without touching others.
- PC connectivity | You can charge the battery and take measurements simultaneously while the device is connected to a computer. You also get visual data of what you measure on your PC.
- LED testing | Lights up upon the detection of polarity, current flow, and voltage.
- OLED display | Comes with a bright screen resolution to promote visual clarity.
- 5-test frequency | Allows 100 Hz, 120Hz, 1KHz, 10KHz, and100KHz frequency testing.
- Lifetime support
- Great accuracy
- PC friendly
No doubt, you can test for different electrical values using an LCR meter and still obtain reliable results. So, if you do any kind of electrical works, either professionally or for personal use, consider investing in this useful device if you already haven’t. Luckily for you, you don’t have to struggle over it as above are the best LCR meters online.