Best Portable Solid State USB Flash Drive 2020 Updated Review.
When we need to physically move data between computers, most of us turn to our trusty flash drive. When you’re looking to add some internal storage to your home computer, you’re likely to purchase a solid-state drive. It’s well known that solid-state drives provide better reliability and faster transfer rates than any other storage technology on the market.
In this article, we have made a well-detailed review on the best portable solid-state USB flash drive in the market.
SanDisk Extreme Pro
SanDisk is an American manufacturer that makes all things memory. From SD cards to USB Flash drives to Internal SSDs, they’ve got their memory chips inside virtually every possible application of the technology.
Sandisk chipsets are known for their reliability and adaptability. For this reason, they’re one of the first brands we’d turn to when we’re looking for something that offers more than the average drive.
Even though the SanDisk Extreme Pro is in the upper echelon of USB storage devices, it doesn’t look too out of the ordinary. It’s a little longer than budget minded flash drives, but SanDisk compensates for this by allowing the USB connector to be retracted into the body of the drive while not in use.
If you’re planning to carry the drive around with you at all times, this makes it a little more durable. You’re unlikely to accidentally bend the connector and debris in your pocket won’t plug it up. Retracting it is a simple motion, you just drag your thumb along the switch on the front. The movement is light and smooth, making it easy to do.
- Super-fast solid state performance, read speeds of up to 420MB/s; write speeds of up to 380MB/s
- Sophisticated design with durable aluminum metal casing
- SanDisk Secure Access software included for 128-bit AES file encryption and password protection
- Backward-compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports.Dimensions:11.0 x 21.0 x 71.0 millimeter; 0.45 x 0.84 x 2.79 inches
- Backed by a lifetime limited warranty
Although PNY doesn’t manufacture the memory chips themselves, they’ve got purchasing agreements with almost all of the most popular brands. They leverage this to engineer products that are always unique. Some focus on affordability, while others on performance.
It’s roughly 30% of the size of a standard credit card, just slightly thicker but shorter than the average flash drive. Looking from the top down, even the micro-USB port on the side takes up half the width!
When you’re holding it between your two fingers, you can appreciate how well made the drive is. The majority of it is made from aluminum. In fact, the entire case is a single piece of extruded metal that is gently rounded on the edges. All the components are shoved inside and two plastic caps placed on each end. If you need somewhere to keep it, it fits very well in the coin pocket of your jeans.
- Elite-X Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive, backwards compatible with USB 2.0
- Amazing performance with read speeds up to 200MB/s, ideal for large files and demanding applications
- Transfer speeds up to 10 times faster than standard PNY USB 2.0 Flash Drives
- Micro-sized, long stay design can remain connected to PC or laptop for maximum convenience
- Compatible with most PC and Mac laptop and desktop computers
Corsair Flash Voyager GTX
Corsair was actually one of the first companies to release solid state style drives. At the time, they were known as RAM drives and used volatile computer memory to store data. They required power at all times, as a reboot could wipe the memory. Although we have come a long way since then, Corsair has continued to be on the cutting edge of technology.
- Experience portable USB storage with the speed of a solid-state drive
- High-speed 3D NAND memory unlocks read speeds up to 440MB/second and write speeds up to 440MB/second
- Available in 128GB, 256GB, 512GB and massive 1TBcapacities, so you can carry all your data, wherever you go
- Premium rugged zinc-alloy housing with aluminum accents protects your data in style
- Optimized for USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 for future-proof and backwards compatibility
Which Portable Solid State USB Flash Drive is Right for Me?
The PNY Elite is ideal for those of you who want a portable drive that can be used as a drop-in replacement for an internal drive. Many consumers are using it with their game consoles, tablets, or laptop computers for a quick and easy way to improve storage capacity without taking up an internal slot.
If you’re working with multi-media, the Corsair Flash Voyager GTX is the ideal candidate. Although it has the fastest throughput of any drive, you can only take advantage of this in sequential operations. This means that activities like editing video, audio, 3D models, or any other type of large files will work best on this drive.
If you want something that offers a good balance between the two, consider the SanDisk Extreme Pro. You can use it as a boot drive or store large amounts of files. No matter which option you choose, you’re certainly going to notice a large improvement over standard USB flash drives.