Best Laser Distance Measure Tool 2020 Detailed Review.
Many jobs require precise measurements. Accuracy is imperative. Laser measuring tools are much more convenient than tape measures and are popular among electricians, contractors, painters, and real estate brokers as well as DIYers who do a lot of work around the home. Check out this review on the best laser distance measuring tool.
How to Select the Best Laser Distance Measure Tool
When you’re selecting a distance measure with Bluetooth, you’re generally searching for five things. You need to consider the measuring range, battery life, calculation functionality, readability, and memory capacity. Also, you will want an instrument with a generally solid construction, but that just about goes without saying.
You can focus on those five things because other factors can generally be guaranteed when you avoid poor quality instruments. For example, you don’t need to be deeply concerned with being able to switch between the imperial and metric system. Nearly any quality instrument will allow it.
Begin your search for a laser distance measure by considering the maximum distances you need to measure. When you’re looking at high-quality instruments, you’ll typically see support for measuring distances between 100ft and 300ft. Exceeding 300ft requires rather specialized equipment intended specifically for large tracts of lands, road construction crews, or industrial construction.
Additionally, it’s worth keeping in mind that these figures are always taken assuming an optimal target, not a suboptimal target.
That’s because the distance you can measure is affected by whether or not the target is reflective. Without a reflective target, measurement range depends on the sheer quantity of light the instrument can output. Smooth textures and lighter colours tend to be the most receptive surfaces for measurement.
The memory capacity of these instruments used to be critical. However, memory capacity is considerably less important when you have Bluetooth support. Being able to automatically send and backup your data is amazingly convenient, and it makes memory-loaded distance measure devices largely unnecessary.
Nevertheless, it’s nice to have at least a small memory capacity. That way you don’t have to reach for your phone every time you want to check a measurement.
Battery Life & Readability
Bluetooth can make other critical features less important, too. For example, the visibility of each reading on the instrument is not nearly as important as it might otherwise be. Nevertheless, it’s always a good idea to take a look at the readability of the display.
The golden standard for a laser distance measure is a backlit LED or OLED display. Additionally, anti-glare screen protection can be important when you’re thinking about outdoor applications.
A typical laser distance measure with Bluetooth will operate with disposable batteries. They’re typically included with instruments that require them, and are typically alkaline AA or AAA batteries.
Calculations & Functionality
Distance measures are capable of doing far more than judging the distance between two objects. Any decent laser distance measure will also be capable of doing a variety of simple calculations. For example, they ought to be able to manage area and volume calculations with ease. You can even find features built specifically for professional use, like painter-mode.
Last but not least, you need to consider accuracy. The least expensive distance measure instruments on the market can still offer accuracy in the ballpark of 1/8”. For a quality instrument, you’re typically looking for accuracy between 1/16” and 1/32”. Exceeding those levels of accuracy can be done, but will gravely increase the cost of the instrument.
The DEWALT DW099S is a smart mixture of form and function. Intended to help you make quick and easy measurements, this 100ft laser distance measure also has the capacity to make many quick calculations.
You can look at volume, area, and even manipulate the data with some subtraction and addition functions. Although the DW099S could be used in a variety of circumstances, it seems particularly well adapted for capturing linear measurements, flooring estimations, and painting estimations.
- Calculate area and volume as well as perform simple addition and subtraction functions
- Measuring range: 100ft/ 30M
- Accuracy: within 3/32 inches
- CAPTURE linear measurements, calculate paint and flooring estimations
- Laser Class 2/ output less than or equal 1 MW at 620 to 690 Nm
Leica DISTO D2
Several years ago, the D1 was an impressive instrument, especially with respect to its accuracy and early support for Bluetooth.
However, it lacked many basic features. The Leica DISTO D2 is a considerable improvement over virtually every aspect of the D1. Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, a well-backlit display, and intuitive design are only the beginning of that the D2 can offer.
- This unit contains a Class II Laser with 1mW output
- 1/16″ accuracy and up to 330 foot measuring range. Measuring units-0.000 m, 0.00 ft, 0’00” 1/16, 0 in 1/16. Measurements per set of batteries-up to 10000
- Bluetooth 4.0 for transferring measurements into desired software
- Last 10 measurement memory, Dimensions : 116 x 44 x 26 mm / 4.57 x 1.73 x 1.02 in
- Pythagoras function for indirect height or width measurements. Operating temperature range:14°F to 122°F / -10°C to 50°C.Protection class:IP 54, dust & splash protected
- Intelligent automatic end piece for hard to reach corners
Bosch GLM 50 C
Some instruments are more impressive than others. The Bosch GLM 50 C has many ways of proving its worth. For starters, it’s constructed with its own inclinometer. That can help you more easily measure angles, or take double-indirect measurements.
Like every distance measure on this list, the Bosch GLM 50 C is compatible with Bluetooth. Wireless connectivity is further supported by the included data collection app, MeasureOn. And the soft grip protecting this instrument also makes it comfortable to use.
- Accuracy: Features long-range measuring with extreme accuracy and measures distances from up to 165 feet to within 1/8 inch
- Upgrades: Includes an upgraded colour display with backlighting for increased visibility and features Bluetooth functionality to conveniently transfer and store measurements from the laser measurer to a smart device via the Bosch app
- Advanced: The Bosch GLM 50 C’s built-in inclinometer allows for advances features like angles, min/max, stake out and double indirect
- Live measuring: Provides default real-time measurement that adjusts as you move closer and farther from the target, just like a tape measure. Measuring accuracy is Typ. +/-1/16-in (1.5 millimetre)
- Compact: Features small dimensions and a handy pocket size design so the GLM 50 C can fit in any pocket
- Class IIA laser product, less than 1mw power output
Choosing Between the Best Laser Distance Measure with Bluetooth
The DEWALT DW099S was made to serve as a basic yet essential instrument. Its allows for a highly functional range of accuracy, certain to be adequate for almost anyone who needs to take laser distance measurements. Provided you’re not working on the industrial scale, the DW099S will be a great choice. It delivers solid performance without a bunch of unnecessary features.
The Bosch GLM 50 C is one-step above the DW099S. Its distance and accuracy capabilities help it squeeze slightly ahead, largely thanks to advanced features like the built-in inclinometer. In addition to those accuracy upgrades, the GLM 50 C is a good choice for someone who truly values an exceptionally clear and colourful backlit display.
Finally, the Leica DISTO D2 is nothing short of a top-shelf instrument. With stunning accuracy, a highly compact form, and exotic calculation functionalities, it has almost everything you could ever want from a laser distance measure with Bluetooth. Its 330-foot capacity nearly triples the capabilities of the other instruments on this list, which makes the D2 a good choice for someone who’s looking something truly powerful.